C5 x7 suspension

ben stellini

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi the hydroneumatic suspension 2008 2.7L x7 has stopped working , and is so low you can’t drive it fluid is ok no leaks . Nothing comes up in dash to display a fault . button on the console makes a noise nothing happens though . Where to start looking fuse ? Reset BMI , faulty pump. Thanks

Hi Ben

Sorry, I don't have C5 experience, although checking the fuses would certainly be the right place to start. Do you have the handbook with a list of fuses and their functions? I seem to recall that if the fuse has blown, then the pump is probably the real problem.

You really need to post your question in the Citroen forum - General chat is intended for non-French car content, and your post in here may not be seen by the right people.

Also, have you considered posting your question on the French Car Forum (https://frenchcarforum.co.uk) ? They seem to get quite a few questions about C5 X7s and are very helpful.

Cheers

Alec

Does the electric motor even start? Have you read for OBD errors? The suspension maxi-fuse is in the maxi-fuse board near the battery. No 1..

Until you know if the pump even starts, it's premature to go on, but a common failure, which can blow the fuse, is a build up of brush residue and muck in the brush area, leading to an electric short. This needs to be thoroughly cleaned out.

Hi the hydroneumatic suspension 2008 2.7L x7 has stopped working , and is so low you can’t drive it fluid is ok no leaks . Nothing comes up in dash to display a fault . button on the console makes a noise nothing happens though . Where to start looking fuse ? Reset BMI , faulty pump. Thanks
Curious about the button making a noise. Are you perhaps saying that you've selected the suspension "High" setting? Do you mean the actual button makes a noise, or that you can hear a hum or buzz from somewhere in the car when you press said button? Has the noise changed, or has it always been a "feature" of the car?

If you are saying the button triggers a noise from somewhere in the car, then it might indicate that the pump is still working, in which case perhaps you have a fluid shortage? You say there are no (obvious) leaks, but have you actually checked the fluid level? A design flaw in Xantias allowed fluid to leak into the driver's footwell - there were no visible leaks, but the level in the reservoir would drop. Eventually you would realise the soles of your shoes were oily...

Does the electric motor even start? Have you read for OBD errors? The suspension maxi-fuse is in the maxi-fuse board near the battery. No 1..
Hi thanks for the answers, the trouble is ,my daughter has the car in Armidale, iam 1000km away , no obd errors come up . Rang NRMA to have a look , they came though didn’t do anything . Asked to check battery and fuses , they said best to tow to a dealer in Tamworth. Not impressed She is going to check more fuses under the bonnet , I guess we can add fluid to the resouvoir. Pump makes no noise when the car is on . I will have to clarify noise from the buttons on the console . Sorry for posting in the wrong area

Ask her or a helper to listen foir the pump motor, in the front of the hydralic unit under the bonnet. It should start to lift the car. It isn't noisy, but should be detectable. If it doesn't start up, fuses are the next check. The control fuse is at the glove box fuses, but the main motor maxi-fuse is hard to get at, It's between the battery and the mud guard in a small housing (possibly red) and will need the battery removed for normal sized fingers. Perhaps a job for a dealer or auto electrician.

With battery disconnection don't forget to wait after disconnection before touching anything (including the doors) and do the same wait at reconnection. This is to keep the computers happy - they need time to shut and to reboot..

If the maxi fuse has blown, an electrician would be your best bet for just a replacement, though removal of the pump will need an LDS top up. You can read about the problem I am guessing about at

Last edited:
Good link seasink. It's 40A a fusible link and can blow if the pump is struggling. Citroen part number 6500AV / 9665407980 and will likely cost about $30 from your nearest dealer. I have a few used spares if needed and you have trouble finding to suit something locally. Happy to post to your daughter in Armidale if need be.

1683792917432.png

One of my early posts has some useful images. . .

Update no fuses blown ,topped up with fluid . Still no joy , the front is so low the inner Guards are sitting on the tyres . Disconnected the battery see if that helps . The buttons on the console , to raise or lower the car do activate the pump but nothing happens . Thanks for your replies so far regards Ben

Hope she managed to find some LDS for the top-up. Was the level low - could there be a leak, even though there's no obvious puddles?

Good link seasink. It's 40A a fusible link and can blow if the pump is struggling. Citroen part number 6500AV / 9665407980 and will likely cost about $30 from your nearest dealer. I have a few used spares if needed and you have trouble finding to suit something locally. Happy to post to your daughter in Armidale if need be.

View attachment 221367
Thanks for the offer , the battery is in the boot , my daughter took a photo of the battery , though I can only see half of the battery though

Can we assume that the car starts OK - which would prove that the battery is in good shape?

So the pump motor can turn. I was hoping it was an easy fuse fix.

I'm sorry about locating the battery up front - that's the common location for four cylinder engines.

See post #1:

"Hi the hydroneumatic suspension 2008 2.7L x7 has stopped working " - so it's a V6.

Wonder if the daughter realises how lucky she is (apart from current problems)?

Front height sensor? Has it snagged a stick or some road debris and pulled the link off?

If the LDS was so low that the pump has lost its prime, it will need to the filled up and then a small pressure applied to the container to get the pump to reprime.

Cheers, Ken