504?

Chris Cooke

Fellow Frogger
hey people i'm just wondering if anyone has a 504 for sale. i'm interested in getting one as they are cheap to pick up and reliable and will provide a great means of transport until i can get a bit of cash up and buy the 205 that i've always wanted. just looking on the internet i've seen some beautiful 504 coupes but i don't know if they were released in australia. if they were any information on prices and availability of these would be great. otherwise i'll just have to look into a four door model. anyway anyone who is selling a 504 please email me!

cheers

Gibgib,

A friend of mine bought that 504 yesterday. It is a good car.

Chris,

504 coupes are very rare in Australia and worldwide (less than 20,000 made, compared with 3.7 million other 504s) and as such are worth big money ($30,000-$40,000). The only ones here were privately imported and converted from left to right hand drive.

504 and 505 sedans are good value for money at the moment. There are plenty in the zero to $2000 price range at the moment, although the 504s at this price tend to be in better condition than the 505s (505s have more gadgets that die).

Try and get one made after about mid 1977 which have side intrusion bars and a tandem braking system. Automatic ones are usually cheaper than manual ones, and its pretty easy to convert them to manual (4 speed boxes are cheap or even free).

Have you checked out my 504/505 mods website?

Regards,
dave

Hello Dave,

What is tandem braking and why are autos cheaper? (Would that friend of yours happen to be Nick at uni?)

Regards,
Bill.

Dave, thanks for the info on the coupes! Its a shame that the 504 coupes aren't common and cheap over here in Australia. Looks like i will be looking at a 4 door then. Well for the money that you pay for these cars no matter what the model is, i think it is worth it. Thanx again.

Chris

Bill,

No, it wasn't Nick, it was actually a friend of a friend, who migrated from Argentina a couple of years ago. He's very impressed because it's better than the 504 he had in Argentina and much cheaper also. In Argentina even a very rough 504 is worth US$2000.

Tandem braking is when there is two master cylinder pistons (instead of just one). Usually one controls the back brakes and the other the front, but sometimes they work diagonally (1970s Volvos and Saabs). This means that if, for instance, the rear brakes leak and loose fluid, you still have the front brakes.

Generally, amongst well looked after 504s, autos are cheaper, because almost everyone who's looking for a good 504 is looking for a manual. Part of the reason is that the autos are very sluggish when compared with manual versions. Autos just don't sell, so the owners have to give them away. This often means that a $800 auto 504 can be in as good condition as a $2000 manual 504. This is changing, however, because the market for any kind of 504, in Australia, is disappearing (regardless of whether they're manual or auto). The result is an oversupply of 504s of all kinds. It's a buyer's market.

I just got offered a 504 FREE, the other day. It's unregistered and accident damaged in the rear, but has heaps of good parts, so I'll probably be stripping it in a few weeks. It's a pity because I remember when that car used to be immaculate, not so long ago (it's a local Camden one owner car).

I also purchased a 604 the other day (let me explain before you hit me!). It was $200, and I went halves with a friend. He wants the power steering, and I want the wheels (to put rally tyres on). I'll also take the big brakes and V6 engine mounts, incase I want to build a V6 505 or 504 one day. I've already found buyers for most of the parts which we don't want, so I should get my $100 back, and more. We'll have the carcass taken away to a metal recycler.

Dave

If 504 cabs and coupes are worth $30-$40,000 here in Aus, could there be a business importing.....

504 Cabriolet, 1974, needs work, price 6,200 Euros. Kurt Orbie. korbie@vl-brabant.be 08/01.

504 Cabriolet, 1979, 2.0 injection, RHD, PAS, e/w, leather interior, burgundy bodywork, good condition and very reliable, MOT & tax to November, £3,500ono, Tel: Lymington 01590 677898. 08/01.

504 Cabriolet V6, 1976, very rare, only 6 in the UK, silver, LHD, MOT to May 2002, dry stored, leather interior, 142,000km, vgc, £6,900. Tel: 01255 813408, Clacton, or email kplester@hotmail.com. 08/01.

504 Coupe, 1977, 4-cyl, LHD, Jade Green metallic, excellent condition, tel: Katja 07932 668288 or email katjaklopf@aol.com I need to sell due to relocation. 08/01.

504 Coupe, 1982, in a very good condition. With monte carlo dashboard and trx gentes price 8,670 Euro’s. Kurt Orbie. korbie@vl-brabant.be 08/01.

504 Coupe injection automatic, 1972 (tax exempt), RHD, mechanically excellent, no bits missing, drives beautifully, s/s exhaust, service history, corrosion in inner sills and wheelarches, genuine 100,000m, offers around £800, Tel Keith Herbert 01761 470246. 06/01.

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

Roland Pym already imports 504 coupes and cabrios, fully restores them, then sells them for the prices I mentioned.

He wouldn't make much money though, because the prices of panels and lights, etc, are incredibly expensive (because they weren't really mass produced cars - only 30,000 cabrios and coupes made over a period of 14 years). For example here's some approximate parts prices:

Bonnet $2100
door $2100
sill $700
front guard $1100
headlight $210

Many other panels are not even available and have to be hand made. These cars rust much worse than other 504s because they are made from a different thickness (and possibly grade?) of steel with different metal treatment. Coupe and Cabrio bodies were made at the Pinifarina factory in Italy, not in a Peugeot factory.

Dave

I'll keep my day job then
mad.gif

Must be a better way.....

Thanks Dave

Cheers
Chris

Hi Dave

So from what you are saying, Dad could have sold his 504 for more?? I knew it!!!! No, I hope that Parko (?) enjoys it very much. It will be a very good car for him to have. Good to catch up finally also - like mentioned, a Pug Day in Sydney (or Surrounds) would be good. No luck with the missing rego paper either. The block has been taken out but is the same one so Chassis and Engine Number are the same.

Cheers
Stu

Stu,

It's really hard to say what 504s are worth at the moment, because the demand for them has dropped so much that it's often hard to find a buyer regardless of price.

I'm glad Paco(?) bought your father's car. It's a car that deserves to be looked after and I'm sure he will look after it. Osvaldo (the other Argentinian guy) and I, plan to help Paco restore it a bit, so hopefully it will be looking great by the time of next year's French car gathering in July. We've found another free 504 with a good engine and many other parts, so Paco will have no shortage of parts.

As you mentioned, it would be good to have a Pug or Aussiefrogs day where we could go for a drive in the Mountains or on the coast or something. When I've fixed a couple of things on my car, I'll raise the prospect of a Sydney region drive, in the general discussion area. What's your preference for a road to drive along? Kangaroo Valley and the Southern Highlands are pretty interesting. Bells Line and Mount Wilson would be good too.

Regards,
Dave